What Liposuction Can Do for You
Liposuction has become a very common surgical process to remove excess fat from between the muscle and skin over excessively “fat” people. Done correctly by a skilled surgeon, it can instantly change the shape of an overweight body, turning a person’s life around. This is what liposuction can do for you.
No diet, no exercise, just relatively minor surgery. Of course it comes at a cost, and it is essential to ensure that the surgeon you choose knows what he or she is doing. If you don’t make sure of this, you might be one of the people who is eventually forced to have repair work done after surgery, because they aren’t happy with what the procedure did for them.
Techniques Used for Liposuction
There are a number of different ways that liposuction can be carried out, all of which will ultimately have the same result for the patient. So when someone says something like, “Look what liposuction did for me” this won’t necessarily give a clue as to the technique or process used.
Similarly, and depending on the liposuction technique used, the process may be done under either general or using a local anaesthetic.
What Liposuction Can Do for You
Liposuction techniques include:
- Tumescent that enables the surgeon to remove large amounts of subcutaneous fat using local anaesthetics known as tumescent fluid
- Dry, that does not involve the injection of local anaesthetic into the fat areas before the process is done
- Wet, essentially the opposite of the dry technique (above), where about 100 ml of a local anaesthetic that contains epinephrine is injected into the fat that is going to be removed
- Super wet, that involves injecting a relatively small quantity of very dilute local anaesthetic into the fat; less than half the volume used for the tumescent technique is used for this method
- Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction (UAL) that uses a relatively large quantity of tumescent fluid together with a metal probe or paddle that delivers heat and ultrasonic energy into the subcutaneous fat this is going to be removed
- Vaser Ulltrasonic Liposuction, also known as Lipo Selection, that enables surgeons to remove the fatty deposits using an alternative technology
- Power Assisted Techniques (PAL) that uses either compressed air or power from an electric motor to remove the fat
- Laser Liposuction that uses tumescent fluid and a microcannula that is inserted into a small cut so that heat and laser energy are directed into the fat below the skin
- SmartLip, a laser technique from Cynosure that is regarded as one of the first techniques used for liposuction
- CoolLipo, another laser technique by Cool Touch Inc., that uses wavelengths to firm the skin once the fat has been dissolved
- ProLipo PLUS, a popular technique used by cosmetic surgeons for very precise and specific body contouring under local anaesthetic that is known to reduce bruising and bleeding
- LipoLite, a minimally invasive technique that uses laser liposuction to dissolve or melt the fat from under the skin
- Lipo Therme &Lipo Control by Osyris Medical are recognised laser lipolysis techniques
- Water Jet assisted techniques that use a stream of minimally pressurised saline water to literally dislodge the fat and remove the fat cells (rather than destroy them as most other techniques do).