Weight Loss Calculator
A weight loss calculator is a great way of determining whether or not you should undergo weight loss surgery. Also known as a Body Mass Index calculator, the calculation measures your weight relative to your height to indicate your body fat percentage.
Body Mass Weight Loss Calculator
The ideal body mass lies in the range of 19 and 24.9. If your BMI calorie calculator comes in at greater than 30, you are typically considered obese and may therefore be a candidate for bariatric surgery.
The higher your body mass index as indicated by a weight loss calculator, the greater your risk of diseases such as sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Understanding the Numbers
Body Mass Index is calculated the same way for men and women. It’s based on a mathematical formula which compares weight and height. A quick search on the Internet for a body mass index will yield results for online calculators.
An ideal body weight for your height should come in at a body mass index of between 19 and 24.9. The standard categories for body mass index according to a calorie counter are:
Below 18.5 – underweight
18.5 – 24.9 – normal
25 – 29.9 – overweight
30 – 34.9 – obese
35 – 39.9 – severely obese
40 – 49.9 – morbidly obese
50+ – super obese
Eligibility for Weight Loss Surgery
While a weight loss calculator is a good start for determining whether or not you need to undergo an operation, or simple diet change,there are other criteria to be met, including:
- You have been severely overweight for longer than five years
- You have made several serious attempts to lose weight but have only enjoyed short-term success
- You don’t have any other disease that could have led to your obesity
- You’re ready to make substantial changes to your lifestyle and eating habits
- You understand that you will have to follow a strict pre-operative nutritional program prior to surgery and are prepared to do so
- You are prepared to be continuously monitored by the specialist who will treat you
- You don’t consume alcohol in excess
How Do you Know if Weight Loss Surgery Isn’t For You?
While the weight loss calculator may tell you that you’re overweight, a weight loss operation might not be the right solution for you is:
- You have another disease that renders you a poor candidate for surgery
- You have severe lung or heart disease
- You have had bleeding in the stomach or oesophagus
- You have hypertension
- You have an abnormal intestine or stomach
- You have cirrhosis
- You are pregnant
- You have chronic pancreatitis
- You’ve experienced an intra-operative digestive grievance
- You are a drug or alcohol addict
- If you have an infection that could contaminate the operating theatre
- You want to how to lose weight fast but aren’t prepared to make lifelong changes to your diets
What If You Need Surgery But Can’t Afford It?