What is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck, also referred to as abdominoplasty, is different to non invasive liposuction in that you do have to go through surgery, anaesthetic and a hospital stay for a tummy tuck procedure.
Whether you choose to have a mini tummy tuck or more serious surgical stomach liposuction, the procedure will work towards flattening your tummy and removing excess fat and skin. That means you’ll be left with tighter stomach muscles.
A tummy tuck can also sometimes remove stretch marks in the lower stomach, making it a popular choice post-pregnancy or after a massive amount of weight has been lost and left you with a flabby tummy and weak muscles. Most patients who have had tummy tucks have reported great improvement in self-esteem after the procedure.
When Should You Consider The Procedure?
- If the shape of your stomach has been affected by pregnancy or a massive amount of weight loss
- If you have stubborn flab; stretch marks or even excess skin around the stomach that doesn’t tighten with exercise and dietary changes
- If your self-esteem has been marred by the shape of your tummy
- If you feel that your protruding tum is unattractive
The Pros and Cons
Before even look at the cosmetic surgery cost and tummy tuck prices in South Africa, consider the following:
Advantages of a tummy tuck:
- Surgery will restore a flat stomach
- You will look and feel better in clothing
- Your body will look youthful
Disadvantages of a tummy tuck:
- Surgery will leave you with a scar
- If you fall pregnant after the tummy tuck, the results will be influenced
- Weight gain after surgery can negatively affect the tummy tuck results.
Are You a Candidate for Surgery?
Let’s say you have the fund to cover tummy tuck prices and understand what the operation involves. Then it’s time to decide if you’re a good candidate. You are if exercise and diet alone have failed to affect your appearance and weight loss efforts, also, you’re a good candidate if:
- Pregnancy, weight or past surgery has left you with excess skin around the tummy and weakness in your abs
- You don’t smoke since this increases the risks of complication during surgery
- Your weight is stable and you only need to remove excess fat and tighten up loose skin
- You’re finished having children
- You’re healthy and in good physical shape
- You have a large amount of intra-abdominal fat around your internal organs
If you’re generally in good health and have a positive attitude along with realistic expectations, you’ll be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.
Tummy Tuck South Africa
Medical aids don’t cover cosmetic surgery in this country. If you require medical finance for the procedure, click on the banner and find out within 48 hours if you’re eligible for finance at competitive interest rates and great payback options. Or you can go directly to the application form here.